ASB Christchurch Marathon 2017
ASB is sponsoring the 2017 Christchurch Marathon for the very first time and we’re helping runners restore some of their favourite local running tracks in the Port Hills. After the recent fires, many of these much loved trails were damaged. But together, we can do something to get them back to their best.
Run Back the Tracks
For every KM you run on race day, we’ll donate 25 cents to help restore these tracks, and with over 6,000 locals predicted to run this year, we’re aiming to raise $25,000.
The Summit Road Society was the hardest hit landowner from the fires, seeing severe loss in native biodiversity in Ohinetahi Reserve; eighty-three hectares of the reserve was burnt and more than 1.3kilometres of fencing needs to be replaced.
Christchurch’s Student Volunteer Army and members from the local ASB team will help Summit Road Society volunteers clear and prepare the lower Ohinetahi Reserve boundary and O’Farrell’s track on June 24. More than 1,500 trees will be planted on July 1, 2017 signalling the first phase of the reserve’s regeneration.
There’s never been a better year to enter the ASB Christchurch Marathon.
See terms and conditions for Run Back the Tracks.
The Hagley Hundred
As well as Run Back the Tracks, participants running the full, half and 10km distances at the ASB Christchurch Marathon, can keep an eye out for THE HAGLEY 100.
In Hagley Park we will install timing pads across a 100m stretch of the course. The fastest man and woman over the 100m every 15 minutes (between 8am – 9.15am) will win a prize pack including a Sports Bag, Water Bottle, ASB St John in Schools First Aid Kit and a $300 Shoe Clinic Voucher.
See terms and conditions for the Hagley 100.
Race Weekend Activity
Look out for the giant yellow ASB inflatable cube in Cathedral Square, as well as much more. Here’s everything you need to know:
- Professional strapping and massage will be available for pre-race niggles on Saturday. If you are an ASB customer the massage is free. Simply show any ASB card or the mobile app. If you are not an ASB customer simply make any donation to the Porthills Running Track project.
- Look out for the giant love heart wall, where you can make donations to go towards the Porthills restoration efforts. Make a donation and get a yellow ball to place into the giant love hearts!
- On race day, we’ll have 9 massage therapists offering 10 minute recovery massages. Free for ASB customers by showing any ASB card or the ASB Mobile App. If you’re not a customer, just make a donation to the Porthills Running Track project.
- Try your hand at the ASB Spinning Wheel and take the opportunity to spin and win! Just show us your ASB card or ASB Mobile App.
- For the young ones participating in the Kids Marathon, we’ll have a station at the start line with free dress up merchandise for those running. Yellow tutus, mohawkes and plait wigs!
- To help cheer on friends and family near the finish line, we’ll have the ASB supporter station towards the last 200-300m of the course. We’ll be supplying free supporter merchandise including loud hailers, supporter posters, pens and high five foam hands to help with the final push!
Find out more information about the ASB Christchurch Marathon.
To stay up to date with blog posts about ASB events, subscribe to our newsletter.