Auckland’s 175th anniversary: let’s party like it’s 1840
We’re partnering with Auckland Council to celebrate the 175th anniversary of Auckland, from Saturday 24 to Monday 26 January 2015.
“Since Sir John Logan Campbell and James Dilworth opened New Zealand’s first savings bank in Auckland in 1847, the histories of ASB and Auckland City have been inexorably linked,” explains our CEO Barbara Chapman.
“Given ASB has been a key part of Auckland for over 165 years, we are proud to be working with Auckland Council to celebrate with everyone Auckland’s amazing journey to becoming the world-class city it is today.”
Acclaimed creative director Mike Mizrahi and Inside Out Productions will be transforming Queen’s Wharf and Shed 10 to give Aucklanders a glimpse into the city’s past. The centre-piece will be an immersive multimedia exhibition which will feature stories of people who have shaped Tamaki Makaurau.
As you arrive on Queen’s Wharf you will walk through a historic archway specially designed to mark Auckland’s 175th anniversary. The wharf will then come alive with entertainment and historical displays.
One of the highlights of the weekend will be Sunday evening’s free concert from the HMNZS Otago - berthed alongside Queen’s Wharf. Curated by Tama Waipara, a selection of bands will bring a local flavour to the celebration. The concert will conclude with a spectacular fireworks display from both the Sky Tower and from barges in the harbour.
All three days will feature buskers, a waka display in the harbour, vintage cars lining Quay Street, markets, food vendors and more.
There’s even something for seafood lovers this anniversary weekend; Wynyard Quarter, just a short walk along Quay Street, will be home to ASB Auckland Seafood Festival.
Auckland is the place to be this anniversary weekend and as an ASB customer, each day you’ll get something a little extra:
- Be there first with exclusive ASB customer access to the Shed 10 multimedia experience between 10am-12pm.
- Beat the crowds with priority queuing on the ASB yellow carpet between 12pm-6pm.
- A place to relax and engage in an ASB experience at the ASB Cube.
To get these extras all you need to do is to show any ASB card.
Check out the dates and times below and join the #AKLturns175 celebration!
- Saturday 24 January 10.00am – 6.00pm
- Sunday 25 January 10.00am – 10.00pm
- Monday 26 January 10.00am – 6.00pm
- Saturday 24 January 12noon – 6.00pm
- Sunday 25 January 12noon –10.00pm
- Monday 26 January 12noon – 6.00pm
- Exclusive ASB customer access 10.00am – 12noon daily
HMNZS Otago open to public:
- Saturday 24 & Sunday 25 January 10.00am – 6.00pm
HMNZS Otago concert:
- Sunday 25 January 5.30pm – 9.30pm
Harbour/Sky Tower Fireworks display:
- Sunday 25 January 9.30pm – 9.45pm
Plus check out the ASB Kids Zone in the Cloud, filled with fun games and activities for you to enjoy.
Please note: Quay Street will be closed to traffic.